wasted enough time already

Thread: wasted enough time already

kate Guest

Default wasted enough time already

how can I refresh a COM function in my ASP page ....i.e. I want to call a COM Function display the data and then refresh the same function and redisplay the updated data.....<BR>please let me know thanks

Default May need to 'waste' a little more...

It depends on the "COM function" and what *its* definition of "refresh" is.<BR><BR>Is this a custom ActiveX object or a standard one? <BR><BR>For some objects, the only way to get them to refresh is to close them down and re-open them. Others refresh simply be re-executing the method. For example, if you do a "FOR EACH subfolder IN someFolder.folders" in the FSO object, naturally the system must take a "snapshot" of the folder contents, else files added while you are doing the loop could mess you over. So to refresh the list you must do another FOR EACH or equivalent.<BR><BR>Anyway, you&#039ve given far too few details for us to make any intelligent stab at answering, I think.<BR><BR>

kate Guest

Default RE: May need to 'waste' a little more...

Actualy I am trying to connect to two databse first my asp page will connect with an oracle db and display a record then it will go to a sql server db and get the data from there it will also write the same sql data to oracle once it writes it I want to refresh the body so that now it goes to oracle and get the updated data from there .... <BR>how can I refresh the body once it updates the data in oracle any help will be great...

MKK Guest

Default RE: wasted enough time already

Dude,<BR><BR>I&#039m, pretty new to net dev work. Although I have found that if your situation is the same as mine, I may have a solution. If the com dll is on the server and you want to change the contents...you need to :-<BR><BR>1. restart your web server<BR>2. copy (don&#039t delete then copy) the dll over the original<BR>3. that&#039s it.<BR><BR>I have found that if using VB to create the com dll then:-<BR>First compilation of dll file,<BR>1. Select Menu Project/Properties<BR>2 Select the Component Tab<BR>3. In the Version Compatability Frame, choose "No compatability"<BR><BR>In successive compilations :-<BR>3. In the Version Compatability Frame, choose "Binary Compatability" and then browse for the dll file.<BR><BR>

Default Not sure I understand, but...

There&#039s no reason that a single ASP page can&#039t do all that you ask. <BR><BR>It displays some data from one DB, goes to the other DB to get other/more data, writes that data to the first DB, and then displays more/other data from the first DB.<BR><BR>If you mean you want the second display to *replace* the first display, then you have more problems. How long should the first display remain on the screen? Should it automatically refresh? Or should the user hit a button to do so? If this is your aim, then you&#039d be best off "controlling" things from the client side: You show the first display and have a client-side timer that automatically submits to the second page in order to force the second display.<BR><BR>Since all the database ops you will do are unlikely to take even as long as half a second, though, I don&#039t see why you care about displaying the first, non-updated, page.<BR><BR>Finally, note that you can *NOT* force a redisplay from the ASP side. It&#039s in the nature of how Web servers work, nothing to do with ASP per se.<BR><BR>See also this page: http://www.aspfaqs.com/aspfaqs/ShowFAQ.asp?FAQID=49<BR><BR>It discusses sending output to a "different" window, but there is no conceptual difference between a window other than the current requestor and the current requestor at some time in the future. The point is that HTTP uses a "connectionless protocol" that simply has many limitations.<BR><BR><BR>