Global.asa not working........

Thread: Global.asa not working........

Default Global.asa not working........

I&#039m attempting to use global.asa in a virtual directory (not root). When i use the global.asa file in the root (inetpub) directory it functions properly. Why doesn&#039t it work in another virtual directory? Isn&#039t each virtual directory viewed as a separate application by the server? Is there something i have to do to inform the server that&#039s its another application and force it utilize the vitual directory&#039s global.asa file?<BR><BR>thanks.

Default RE: Global.asa not working........

your global.asa file in the virtual directory will work only when the client browser points to the virtual directory.<BR><BR>If the client browser points to http://localhost then the global.asa in inetpub/wwwroot will function<BR><BR>If the client browser points to http://localhost/virtualdirectory then the virtual directory&#039s global.asa file will function

I know what you&#039re saying, and that&#039s how I though it should be, but it still doesn&#039t seem to be working. I have the global.asa setup so that I can see how many users are currently online. When I&#039m in the inetpub directory it works okay. The .asp page will say "2 users online" or whatever. However when i put an identical global.asa in another virtual directory and check out the proper file it will say "users online" with no number, indicating that the file isn&#039t doing its job.

Ian Ankers Guest

Global.asa files are only executed for application roots. By default the root web of the default web site is an application root when IIS is installed. If the directory or virtual directory is not an application root then the GLOBAL.ASA file will not be executed. To configure an application root. Start the MMC, goto the folder within the Web Site that contains you GLOBAL.ASA. Select the properties of the folder, choose the Home Directory tab and click the button marked create. This info relates to IIS 4 of course.