Using the NewWindow ="my.asp")

Thread: Using the NewWindow ="my.asp")

Vipul Desai Guest

Default Using the NewWindow ="my.asp")

I have a question about going from one form to another in HTML and javascript. What I am essentially trying to do is go from

dear Vipul... Guest

Default using of this messageboard

I am really interested in learning new stuff about ASP and components. But unfortunatly this ADVANCED(!) messageboard is used often either to ask for very basic questions, these should be asked on asp messageborad if I&#039m not wrong, or to ask without explanation of the actual problem.<BR>I noticed, that you Vipul, are THE example for such a user. So, please do all of us a favor, please read something about the topic before you post (like Scott advised) and then formulate your question understandable. Ok? <BR>I&#039m also interested in other opinons about that (or am I the only one who feels so?), so please respond active.

Manoj Guest

Default RE: Using the NewWindow =

Yes, I feel the same as the other respondent.

Vipul Desai Guest

Default Defence of simple questions!

I am sorry you feel that way but basically I feel different than both of you do. The last question I put up was cut off (I got interupted), and I sent a shortened message, so I apologize about that. <BR><BR>But with this being said -- I am in a bind. My last question was not simply about opening up a window using the mywind = &#039,&#039 &#039,&#039parameters command&#039). It was more about passing information between one form on an ASP page using this command -- I was losing memory or application state. I was trying to pose a question about how does the command differ from the <BR><BR> &#060;Form action = "Action = "Goto.Page&#062;<BR> &#039text boxes<BR> &#039combo boxes<BR> &#039etc<BR> &#060;/Form&#062;<BR>format of passing fields with the Form object. The question I had was that I was losing application state where I did not have any memory using Javascript&#039s command. I can go the &#039dumb&#039 route by &#039knowing what I know&#039 and simply proceed and use the Form (Action) object to pass my variables around. But the problem is that I could not use &#039toolbar=false&#039 option with this method because only the method supports this option. <BR>I needed to close the toolbars down so I could lock my users in to my program. To my knowledge, this is not in any of the three top selling or recommended Javascript books that are sold at Amazon and this, I think, is a valid question. <BR><BR>In addition to this question, I would like to add a thought noting that this question would not be answered on the ASP message board which has a level of questions that are a lot simpler than mine. Just go there.<BR><BR><BR>Sincerely, Vipul

Sathiya Guest

Default RE: Defence of simple questions!

The main difference between submitting the form and using New window option from javascript is that <BR>Submitting the form will not open a new window, It uses GET and POST method to capture the form elements & Session or Application objects will not be lost.<BR>New window option allows the programmer to manipulate with the browser window to certain levels, like u said toolbar, menubar, scroll bars, but when u open a new window all the session objects will be lost & you can get the variables from other window through QueryString.<BR>This may not give you full explanation but give you some ideas.

Kyle Wilson Guest

That was a heated read... =)<BR><BR>I may be wrong so if I am I will confine myself to the lesser boards...<BR><BR>Couldn&#039t you do one of the following:<BR><BR>Use the form page as the form&#039s processing page (not really what you wanted), but if there is data in the querystring (preferably form) run an openwin function appending said data to the querystring and then in the opened window hide the url box? In our windowed page you could parse the querystring and actually do the form work (the desired result)?<BR><BR>OR<BR><BR>use javascript&#039s onBlur function to note when the user had changed the value of each form input within your onBlur processing write the name/value pairs to the client via javascript cookies then on form.submit run your open window function and in the page that opened pull the cookie values via asp and do the processing?<BR><BR>Both of these examples don&#039t really use forms the way they were intended and likely aren&#039t that secure... I guess it just depends on what you&#039re trying to accomplish, environment, javascript knowledge, etc.<BR><BR>Good Luck

Here&#039s an extremely convoluted way that might work (don&#039t blame me if it doesn&#039t, it&#039s just a theory:)). <BR><BR>1 open the window in JS without passing it a url source, passing it all the stuff about toolbars, etc. that you want<BR>2 use newwindow.document.write to write some html in there with a form and some hidden tags, setting the values as you send the stuff to the page (e.g. newwindow.document.write(&#039&#060;input type=hidden value=&#039+someVar+&#039&#062;).<BR><BR>Once you are done composing this dynamically created page, do this:<BR><BR>newwindow.document.formname.submit() ..<BR><BR>then on the form result page, get the variables by processing the form.<BR><BR>That&#039s about the most ludicrous post I&#039ve ever written, but it just might work!<BR><BR>As for the "off topic" issue... I can&#039t say it matters to me because about 80% of the posts in all the topics seem to be pretty hard to understand anyway, and I&#039m just glad when I go to a topic and can understand what someone is asking :)