Sorting Recordsets

Thread: Sorting Recordsets

John Reynolds Guest

Default Sorting Recordsets

I posted this before, but didn&#039t get a response ... hoping for one this time, as I still haven&#039t found any answers as to why the sort method is kinda shotty.<BR><BR>I am having trouble getting the sort method for ADO recordsets to work properly. Every time I try to implement it, it gives me the same error:<BR><BR>Error Type:<BR>ADODB.Recordset (0x800A0CB3)<BR>Object or provider is not capable of performing requested operation.<BR>/asp/pool_edit_start.asp, line 32<BR><BR>That line is the sort line ... objRS_pool.Sort = "pool_name". Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? And if there&#039s no way to fix this, is there any other way of sorting recordsets on the fly?<BR><BR>I am using IIS 5 with Win2k Adv Server and MSSQL 7.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>John<BR>

New ASP Guest

Default Copyright: Infinite Software

If you are using a server-side cursor, some providers may not support this property. You can remove a sort by setting this property equal to the empty string "". <BR><BR>FYI:<BR><BR>C:WINNTProfilesAdministratorDe sktopWeb RefADO 2.6

Default RE: Sorting Recordsets

What sort of cursor are you using? I&#039m pretty sure that you&#039ll need to use a keyset or dynamic cursor to resort on the fly. (A static cursor might work, I&#039m not sure...)<BR><BR>Dunc

New ASP Guest

Default Sorry, wrong link

John Reynolds Guest

Default RE: Sorting Recordsets

I&#039m doing this server-side ...<BR><BR>What does "provider" mean in this instance? the database software, ODBC connection, or what?<BR><BR>Thanks so much :),<BR>John

John Reynolds Guest

Default Cursor type

I am using the following parameters for my recordset:<BR><BR>strConnect, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic, adCmdTable