Timeout expired - Please Help!

Thread: Timeout expired - Please Help!

Default Timeout expired - Please Help!

Hello, I&#039ve got a big problem with a ASP-application. My task is to change 18000 values (prices of products) in a SQL-Server Table. This is not a problem so far, but these values must be changed before they are UPDATE:ed into the table again. They are changed with a ASP-function; which partly calls a large stored procedure and partly with a matematical calculation (rather simple). <BR>When I do a LOOP to UPDATE the prices I always get a "Timeout Expired" error after 56 records. (It works, but only with 56 records)<BR><BR>The ASP code:<BR>--- --- ---<BR>Do until rs.eof<BR><BR>cnnSQL.Execute("UPDATE thisTable SET price = &#039" & thisFunction(rs("thisPrice")) & "&#039 WHERE thisId = &#039" & rs("thisId") & "&#039")<BR><BR>Loop <BR>--- --- ---<BR><BR>My questions are therefore: Is there possible to do a multiple (18000) UPDATE in a ASP-LOOP? What does "Timeout expired" mean? And: Can I increase the Timeout? If you know the answer to any of these questions I&#039ll be very greatful. Thank you very much in advance!<BR><BR>//Johan (johan.wrango@b2xpress.com<BR>

Culture Guest

Default RE: Timeout expired - Please Help!

Sounds like a server config to me (though i maybe wrong).<BR>I think (without looking) that an IIS server an be set to timeout "serving" a page after a set amount of time.<BR>So if the server is set to timeout any page (including your asp file) after 56 seconds then.....

Eddie Campbell Guest

Default RE: Timeout expired - Please Help!

I believe that the default script timeout set by IIS is 90 seconds which probably corresponds to your 56 records. To increase this do the following:<BR>In Internet Service Manager select the properties for your web site. On the Home Directory Tab click Configuration and set the ASP script timeout to a higher value.<BR><BR>HTH

Eddie Campbell Guest

Default Or ...

Server.ScriptTimeout = XXX on your page where XXX is the number of seconds before timing out.