Connection problems using OLEDB

Thread: Connection problems using OLEDB

Steve Stoll Guest

Default Connection problems using OLEDB

My code works on my servers but not on our web hosts servers. I am connecting using OLEDB. The host has installed the latest versions of MDAC on their web server and on their database server (separate machines).<BR>The error that results from a connection attempt follows:<BR><BR>ADODB.Connection error &#039 800a0e7a&#039 <BR>ADO could not find the specified provider. <BR>/EBI/Includes/EBIConn.asp, line 14 <BR><BR><BR>Following is my connection information:<BR><BR>Set adoConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>adoConn ection.ConnectionString = "PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;DATA SOURCE=NS1;UID=*****;PWD=******;INITIAL CATALOG=EBI"<BR>adoConnection.Open <BR><BR>The error results from the open statement. The UID and PWD are correct (I have checked and double checked). The server name is "NS1" and the desired database is "EBI".<BR><BR>Any insight, help or direction that you can provide me is greatly appreciated.<BR>

Eddie Campbell Guest

Default RE: Connection problems using OLEDB

Have they rebooted their servers since loading the MDAC update ?<BR><BR>Try putting this into your page and see what you get.<BR><BR>&#060;% Dim DbConn<BR>Set DbConn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR> Response.Write "ADO version = " & dbConn.Version<BR>%&#062;<BR>

Steve Stoll Guest

Default They have ADO Version 2.0 installed.

I think that ADO V2.0 should work. Is this correct? Any more ideas?<BR><BR><BR>Thanks

Steve Stoll Guest

Default I tested and it worked with DSNless. I hate to se

If this tells you anything, please let me know.<BR><BR>Thanks for the help Eddie....

Default RE: Connection problems using OLEDB

Steve,<BR>The error says it cannot locate the "Provider" which in this case is the machine that is running SQL Server. Since you are trying to access the NS1 machine from within the same network and failing on the machine name, I would suggest an internal Name Server Resolution issue (DNS).<BR><BR>I might also suggest the possibility the two machines reside within different internal network domains which would prevent machine resolution using machine name alone. <BR>I have run multiple tests using different scenerios connecting to the machine running SQL Server from inside a LAN & outside and come to the conclusion that if you qualify the machine name with the domain you will connect with no problem. This why I believe the machines may be on different domains within the LAN. Your connection will also be successful if you put the IP address of the SQL Server as the Data Source in your DNSLess Connection.<BR><BR>Here&#039s a cut & paste - <BR><BR>Set adoConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>adoConn ection.ConnectionString = "PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;DATA SOURCE=NS1.DDSCONNECT.NET;UID=*****;PWD=******;INI TIAL CATALOG=EBI"<BR>adoConnection.Open <BR><BR><BR>Hope that gets you going.<BR><BR>Matt Walsh<BR>CyLutions Internet Technologies<BR>