Quick and Simple question ??

Thread: Quick and Simple question ??

Alan B Guest

Default Quick and Simple question ??

Hi all,<BR><BR>I&#039m new to asp and web design, and have just installed a pws on my machine at home. The problem is that it won&#039t display any asp pages. These same pages work on other peoples machines that are configured the same as mine ( as far as I can tell ).<BR>I get an error message in Netscape 6 that says:<BR>"This file has mime type text/asp and cannot be viewed in Netscape 6."<BR>I was getting an error message regarding permissions, when I tried to set folders to executable, and scripts allowed to run, but that stopped appearing when I uninstalled everything, and reinstalled pws again, yet it still doesn&#039t like running asp pages, it defaults to saving the file as....<BR><BR>Help ?????<BR><BR>Alan B

lawra Guest

Default RE: Quick and Simple question ??

What&#039s your OS ? For windows, before WNT4 or W2000, and maybe W98, it seems to me you have to download the ASP component and install it on PWS.

Linda Pyrc Guest

Default one starting point..

Your physical folders that contain your asp pages must also be defined or come under a virtual web directory and you access them by yourservername/virtualdirectory/asppage.asp<BR><BR>I hope this makes sense.<BR><BR>

Alan B Guest

Default RE: one starting point..

Thanks for your responses, my OS is just Windows 95, where do I download this component from ( microsofts Site I assume ?)<BR><BR>I think I know what you mean by the the virtual directory, I have to access my pages by IP, but in your example I can access Html pages in the same directory as asp pages, and they are fine.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Alan B

xenocom Guest

Default RE: one starting point..

Hi there,<BR><BR>you need to open up PWS (ASP components should already be there if you installed office or frontpage) and goto ADVANCED in PWS.<BR><BR>Double click the &#039/HOME&#039 (vir dir could be c:inetpubwwwroot) tree view (should be at top) and you&#039ll get a window open. make sure the &#039execute (including scripts&#039 box is ticked.<BR><BR>Dave<BR>xenocom@lineone.net