Using templates for a B2B site to improve maintena

Thread: Using templates for a B2B site to improve maintena

Kush Desai Guest

Default Using templates for a B2B site to improve maintena

Hi Guys,<BR><BR>I have been thinking so hard for the solution to this problem..that I have lost half my hair in the process. I am developing a B2B site in ASP. Over time the site has grown to become quite big in terms of size i.e. 150 odd ASP files. But my problem is that the client keeps revamping his requirement specifications every 2/3 weeks. Say my client wants me to change the &#060;table&#062; change the &#060;table&#062; color or change the label for a particular field in a form.<BR><BR>This has cascading changes... as u might be aware.. and this has become very tedious and tiresome.A single change like that requires me to go and make the change in 20 odd files at an average.<BR><BR>I am looking for a solution whereby i can use #INCLUDE files or templates to achieve maximum re-use of already written HTML code, ease maintenance pains & reduce the time i have to spend on making these changes. <BR>All comments/ URL&#039s welcome.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Kush

Default RE: Using templates for a B2B site to improve main

Its very easy to use include files for configuration<BR><BR> file<BR><BR>&#039Page background color<BR>Const bgColor="#ffffff"<BR><BR>the page<BR><BR>&#060;!-- #Include File="" --&#062; <BR>&#060;html&#062;<BR>&#060;head&#062;<BR>title& #062;&#060;/title&#062;<BR>&#060;/head&#062;<BR>&#060;body bgcolor="&#060;%=bgColor%&#062;"&#062;<BR><BR>&#06 0;/body&#062;<BR>&#060;/html&#062;<BR><BR>I use it for all kinds of page configuration where multiple pages have the same look or information<BR>

Kush Desai Guest

Default RE: Using templates for a B2B site to improve main

Thanks for the info.<BR><BR>But i have a page with a huge form.. with close to 30 rows.<BR>I use the same form in 2 ways.<BR><BR>This form has a big table with 2 columns. All labels for the form elements come in the first column.<BR>One time, the form is displayed with &#060;Form&#062; elements in the second column to respond to somebody&#039s query.<BR><BR>The second time round, the same form is used to display the answer posted by somebody. So then the second column of the table will now contain text instead of &#060;form&#062; elements. I wanna use this same form both times instead of making them from scratch. I can use &#060;!-- include--&#062; techinique with variables in the second column that i declare before including the file. But then the look of the table cannot be changed.<BR><BR>This is what i really had in mind. <BR>Have a function that accepts a single variable which is the data to display inside a table. The function then generates the table and puts the supplied content in the middle. This way i can change the design of the table tomorrow and all files will be automatically updated. For this function to work, the data i want to display inside the table must be in a single variable.<BR>To read the table contents into a single variable but still have them changeable by Dreaweaver, they must appear outside &#060;% %&#062;.<BR>Then to able to read such data into a variable,It must be like a template that i read into a variable, do the Replace() to replace placeholders with values and pass that to the function that makes the table and puts this inside that table.<BR><BR>But then the form i wanna re-use changes depending on the case. several rows are displayed if particular conditions are met. So it becomes more and more complicated and yet i wanna have it in a more maintainable way. <BR>Now, any ideas??