Display message while waiting for Stored procedure

Thread: Display message while waiting for Stored procedure

Default Display message while waiting for Stored procedure

Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to have a message display on an ASP web page while waiting for SQL to process a stored procedure? I have a very complex stored procedure that takes about 15 seconds to run, and would like to have a message displayed on the page that says "Loading please wait..." But here is the kicker - I want the page to immediately display this message when hit, and then for the message to disappear after the stored procedure finishes, and the data is returned to the page. Any ideas?

Steve Cimino Guest

Default RE: Display message while waiting for Stored proce

A cheap way:<BR><BR>&#060;%Response.buffer = true%&#062;<BR>Please be patient, **** it!<BR>&#060;%Response.flush<BR>&#039do your db stuff here%&#062;<BR><BR>But, the message will stay there even when your stuff if complete.<BR><BR>There is an article by Alex Homer at http://www.asptoday.com that explains exactly what you want... do a search for his name on that site. The downside is, that it is way too much code for me to waste time with, but it may be just what you&#039re looking for.

Default Can be done with DHTML .but you can't rely on

due to incompatability in browsers<BR><BR>I just tried this with dhtml.this is working in IE 5.5 and NS 4.5<BR>as you know, dhtml is very funny.i&#039m not sure whether this will run both in NS and IE if your versions are different.but this will give the effect you are expecting.<BR><BR>&#060;body&#062;<BR>&#060;div id="text" style="background-color:red; position:absolute;"&#062;Wait for some...&#060;/div&#062;<BR>&#060;%<BR>for i=0 to 100000<BR>response.write i<BR>if i=50000 then<BR>%&#062;<BR>&#060;Script language="javascript"&#062;<BR>if (document.layers)<BR>document.layers["text"].visibility="hidden";<BR>else<BR>document.all["text"].style.visibility="hidden";<BR>&#060;/script&#062;<BR>&#060;%end if<BR>next%&#062;<BR>&#060;/body&#062;