AS400 / ASP

Thread: AS400 / ASP

Grommit Guest

Default AS400 / ASP

I&#039m editing a 3rd party ecommerce package that integrates with our AS400 system. The AS400 assigns a value to a Data Area when a backup procedure is running.<BR>I need to 1.) connect to the AS400, 2.) retrieve the value of the data area, and 3.) response.redirect to a "site closed" page if the value retrieved is true.<BR>#3 is easy enough, but can anyone lend some guidance for parts 1 & 2?<BR>Thanks<BR>

Default RE: AS400 / ASP

If you can&#039t connect to that "Data Area" (whatever that is) via an ODBC driver (that is, by treating it as if it is a database), then you will have to write a "custom control" in C++ or Visual Basic that talks to the AS400 and thence to VBScript in ASP.<BR><BR>I&#039m not sure what ODBC driver you can use to connect to an AS400, but you might check with Merant to see if they have a driver that will do so (assuming that neither MS nor IBM supplies one, that is). <BR><BR>Anyway, if you can do this in either Visual Basic or C++ code, converting that code to an ActiveX control that is scriptable from VBS and ASP isn&#039t tough, in comparison.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Grommit Guest

Default RE: AS400 / ASP

Thanks Bill. I&#039m not familiar with Data Areas either - I guess I&#039ll try the DB connection first and hope it works!<BR>