Can you search for files on website and display li

Thread: Can you search for files on website and display li

Bill Connolly Guest

Default Can you search for files on website and display li

Thanks in advance for you helpful advice. <BR><BR>BACKGROUND<BR>I have an "games" page that displays the titles of video games from a database. Each title is a link to an "information" page that will display all facts in the database about the title picked and that part works fine. On that information page I would like to provide links to pictures, JPG files, that are screen prints of the games. This way when a viewer is browsing the information about a particular game they can click on a link and view the screenshots if they like. This information is not in my database but these files are all in a folder on the website. The screen prints file name is the title of the game with a number after it. Asteroids1.jpg, Asteroids2.jpg indicates that I have 2 different screen prints.<BR><BR>QUESTION<BR>Is it possible to write code on my "information" page that will search a folder on my website for file names containing the title of the video game selected +1 and create a link to that file? Then loop through for as many pictures as I have? There are cases where I have 1 picture, several pictures and no pictures.<BR><BR>Again thanks for your help.<BR><BR>Sincerely,<BR>Bill<BR>

besharah Guest

Default RE: Can you search for files on website and displa

If you want to access the files on your website you can use the filesystemobject which is a component that comes with asp. It contains the usual objects that you would expect: file, drive, folder etc. I just finished doing exactly what you are trying to do. I had the filesystem object scan a particular directory and create a treeview of all the files and each "branch" on the treeview was a hyperlink which displayed the file. It was a pretty easy component to use and you should have no problem getting all the info you need off the net.<BR><BR>Good luck

Default RE: Can you search for files on website and displa

Just in case you can&#039t find them, here&#039s a snipped from the IIS documentation that iterates through the files in a given folder. <BR><BR>In your case you could modify it slightly to use fso.getFile(filespec) and skip the step of opening the folder.<BR><BR>Function ShowFolderList(folderspec)<BR> Dim fso, f, f1, fc, s<BR> Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")<BR> Set f = fso.GetFolder(folderspec)<BR> Set fc = f.Files<BR> For Each f1 in fc<BR> s = s & <BR> s = s & "<BR>"<BR> Next<BR> ShowFolderList = s<BR>End Function<BR><BR>

Bill Connolly Guest

Default Thanks Stephan and Besharah! Will work on it toni

It is friendly and helpful folks like you that make this message board so great. I really appreciate it.