FileSystemObject slow? Or just a rumour?

Thread: FileSystemObject slow? Or just a rumour?

Leif Strøm Guest

Default FileSystemObject slow? Or just a rumour?

I&#039ve been told that the FileSystemObject in ASP works slow.<BR>We consider using it, but rumors from the PHP-world says it is considerably slower than comparable functions in PHP?<BR>What does 4Guys say?

Default My experience

I use to use the FileSystemObject to handle all banner displays. That means two instantiations of the FileSystemObject, four file reads, and two file writes PER PAGE VIEW. This held up flawlessly until traffic broke about 80,000 page views per day (avg. about a page view per second, but much higher, of course, during peak times (11 AM to 2 PM EST)). Granted, I know this is HIGHLY unscientific reasoning, but hopefully that gives you some guidelines?<BR><BR>HTH

Steve Cimino Guest

Default I'm not a 4 guy, but

I wrote a program that checks out every folder/file on our Intranet to search for asp and htm/html pages, then opens up each file and parses each word to place into another text file. <BR><BR>Machine: PIII 566Mhz<BR>Number of files searched: Nearly 10,000 (2500 were actually opened)<BR><BR>Using VB and the FSO:<BR>49 minutes<BR><BR>Using Java (and Java&#039s built in I/O)<BR>21 minutes<BR><BR>(the recursive function to find all the files was 10 times faster in Java then with the FSO).<BR><BR>Significant difference, don&#039t you think?

Richard A. Lowe Guest

Default Slow is relative...

.. I don&#039t know how exactly you would check PHP vs. FSO speed. Hey, PHP might be much faster - I wouldn&#039t be surprized if it was. But speed is relative and the FSO is fast enough. <BR><BR>I also suspect it handles all sorts of picky details that make it scale quite well and avoid conflicts with other processes that affect files. Never mind the fact that you need not use it in ASP, you can use it in ColdFusion or wherever COM calls are supported.<BR><BR>Or in other words, sometimes things that are optimized for speed and power do so at the cost of flexibility, scalability and connectivity. I&#039m not saying that is the case, just that it tends to play out that way, IME.<BR><BR>Richard