RegExp Component

Thread: RegExp Component

Steve Cimino Guest

Default RegExp Component

I&#039m developing a project which uses regular expressions in Java. Currently, I have to have a Visual Basic COM object do all the regular expressions, which I think is rather pointless. Why you ask?<BR><BR>The only regular expression package that I&#039ve seen is sun.misc, which now Sun doesn&#039t want you to use at all! No documentation, no nothing, since they&#039re "retiring" the package.<BR><BR>So, the next logical step (IMO, of course) is to implement the VBScript DLL and use the regular expressions in there. Now, when you make a reference to this dll in VB, the path is:<BR><BR>C:windowssystemVBScript.dll3 <BR><BR>I have no idea what the 3 means, but I can&#039t get that into Java. When I import the VBScript Globals, the Regular Expression object isn&#039t in there.<BR><BR>I&#039ve searched several Java sites for a regular expression package, but to no avail. Does anyone know of any, or does anyone know of way to get VBScript&#039s RegExp into a package?

Richard A. Lowe Guest

Default RE: RegExp Component

How do you import the classes a Dll exposes? Do you have to reference the dll directly? Can you import any publicly createable Windows&#039 class into a package (I don&#039t know much about Java - can you tell?).<BR><BR>(The VBScript.RegExp class exposes the RegExp object, in a logical sense, although it may live in the same dll.)<BR><BR>Richard

Steve Cimino Guest

Well, Visual J++ (I don&#039t know how J Builder or even just a straight CLASS file would handle) builds a COM "wrapper" around your project. Basically, you point to the dll, and J++ generates a class file based on the exposed interfaces of that dll. Then, you have access to all the commands.<BR><BR>I&#039m certain that the VBScript.dll contains the RegExp object. Funny, even when you reference that dll in VB, it doesn&#039t contain the RegExp object. It has two others... RegExp 5 and RegExp 5.5 that have to be included separately. That probably explains the /2 and /3 at the end of the file path.<BR><BR>Obviously you can reference that object in VB with the /3, but how can a "normal" language have access to it? What surprises me the most about this is that I&#039m completely in a Microsoft environment. I&#039ve even searched for the JScript dll hoping to find the regexp in that one. Do you happen to know the name of that dll?

Richard A. Lowe Guest

Default JScript.dll

JScript.dll, but I&#039m not sure that it will help you - the REgExp object doesn&#039t seem to be publically creatable or contain any of the methods that are exposed in ASP...<BR><BR>hhmmmmm many things here I don&#039t get...<BR>sorry,<BR>Richard

Hope that this URL helps...<BR><BR>