Random Record From Database

Thread: Random Record From Database

Default Random Record From Database

Can anyone help me streamline this please ?<BR><BR>I would like to display a randomly selected record from my database.<BR><BR>I use RecordCount to determine the number of records in a recordset (the current example has 13)<BR><BR>(not sure of the correct code for this bit) - I select a number between 1 and 13 (the number of records counted) - For this example 7. and then go thru the recordset till i get to the 7th record and display the contents.<BR><BR>Can anyone help me with the random select bit? I know I would need to use Randomize but am not sure how to do so.<BR><BR>Thanks!!!<BR>Renee<BR><BR>

Default ASPFAQs, topic: Databases, Queries

Shows how to get multiple random records, but the principle is the same.<BR><BR>But if you can get the RS.RecordCount, you can simplify it all a bit if you only want one random record:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>...<BR>RS.Open ....<BR>which = Int( Rnd * RS.RecordCount )<BR>If which &#060;&#062; 0 Then RS.Move which<BR>...<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>That should be all you need. You might not even need the IF WHICH test, but I&#039m being paranoid.<BR><BR>