error 404 - redirection

Thread: error 404 - redirection

fl1rt@chee.ky Guest

Default error 404 - redirection

hardly advanced..but it feels like it just now! (read on)<BR><BR>I&#039m really struggling to capture an error 404 occurence and point it to a .asp file that will source the error page and redirect accordingly depending upon what file was requested.<BR><BR>I&#039ve tried to FTP a .htacess file (rubbish host FAQ) to my root but it doesn&#039t show on my server. This file points to a badurl.htm file...but it doesn&#039t work!<BR><BR>:(<BR><BR>any takers?<BR>cheers<BR><BR>(ps I don;t use any editors like frontpage or whatever...just FTP the files straight across - is this a server-side support job or am I missing the plot?)

Default RE: error 404 - redirection

Error pages are generated purely by the web server.<BR><BR>SOme web servers allow you to generate custom error pages and also allow you to change some specific error messages. 404 is one of these.<BR><BR>Try clicking on error messages in the webservers setting window.

fl1rt@chee.ky Guest

Default RE: error 404 - redirection

hmm I know all this but what webservers setting window?<BR><BR>basically I write the HTML/VBasic with Dreamweaver2 and upload directly with bulletPoint FTP.<BR><BR>nothing else is used...maybe wordpad on occasion!<BR><BR>cheers<BR>my web support has gone without reply - pretty odd for them, they&#039re usually very good and their FAQ appears to be for UNIX...they&#039re NT documentation is pants...<BR><BR>www.web2010.com