ASP Message board structure - please assist

Thread: ASP Message board structure - please assist

Steve Adamo Guest

Default ASP Message board structure - please assist

Good morning!<BR><BR>I have built a threaded message board very similar to the 4Guys board,..<BR><BR>My question is simple,...<BR><BR>How in the world do they display the "connectors" in that fashion? I cant for the life of me come up with a scenario that provides an accurate "trace-route" from parent to subpost that looks like this board,..<BR><BR>Does anyone have any clue as to how they pulled it off?<BR><BR>I am assuming its in their "display routine" versus their "update routine" that the logic I am looking for comes into play,...<BR><BR>Just ofr clarification, I have the logic in place for post order (which is the tricky part), I just need to know how to display the posts with the tree-diagram approach that they pulled off,..<BR><BR>Its killing me! :) <BR><BR>Thanks for any insight or advice!<BR><BR>Steve

Default RE: ASP Message board structure - please assist

The actual look of it is done through tiny pics. View source code for a while, wipe the blood away that will come while trying to read it all, find the posts with the pics in front. I don&#039t know exactly how they store the information, but what I would do is have identifiers for the various posts. I can tell that they use M for Message ID (which is a fresh post). Then you could have other fields to keep track as well. Once you know exactly how they should go together, it&#039s just a matter of programming for the various pics. For example, this post might be (straight line pic)(space pic)(space pic)(straight line pic)(arrow pic). You get the idea.

Default Also...

All you would need for your messages is simply a message ID, parent message ID, the message itself, and the timestamp. Incrememt the highest message ID number by 1 each time someone posts a new message. This would be the simplest method. If the parent ID is 0 then it is the parent. Order all parents in order according to the timestamp, children the same way.