STORED PROCEDURES BETTER THAN ASP VS SQL SERVER?

Thread: STORED PROCEDURES BETTER THAN ASP VS SQL SERVER?

Proced Guest

Default STORED PROCEDURES BETTER THAN ASP VS SQL SERVER?

Should I always use stored procedures whenever<BR>I can in SQL Server? For validation, for retrieving<BR>fields, for checking things.. do it in a stored<BR>procedure instead of ASP?<BR><BR>Why is this faster? When do I do stuff in ASP <BR>rather than making it a stored procedure?<BR><BR>

keithadler@hotmail.com Guest

Default RE: STORED PROCEDURES BETTER THAN ASP VS SQL SERVE

Data validation, as much as possible should be done client-side. This way your servers are not bogged down round-tripping data modication requests to the users. Stored procedures are like programming functions ... you pass them values, they give back a result(s). Their ability to work on the data itself is a a plus.

Mark Hoffman Guest

Default RE: STORED PROCEDURES BETTER THAN ASP VS SQL SERVE

A few reaons to use stored proc&#039s as often as possible:<BR><BR>Speed: Because stored procedures are compiled (after the first time they are executed) they will run faster than a regular ad-hoc query.<BR><BR>Maintenance & Reuse: It&#039s convenient to have your queries in a single place. You can easily reuse them and you don&#039t have to dig over 100 ASP pages to modify a single query that has been duplicated on all 100 pages.<BR><BR>Security: By using stored proc&#039s, you can disable select, insert and delete permissions on your tables, but still allow users to run stored procs. This keeps people from running ad-hoc queries against your tables.<BR><BR>Like the previous poster said, validation should be done on the client end to reduce across-the-wire traffic, but stored procs are far superior to queries stuffed all over your pages.<BR><BR>Mark Hoffman<BR>Satama USA<BR>