How do you test an array for dimensions?

Thread: How do you test an array for dimensions?

Default How do you test an array for dimensions?

Given an array of n dimensions, is there a way to test the array to figure out the number of dimensions?<BR><BR>For instance, if we have this 5 dimensional array:<BR><BR> dim a(6,2,5,2,9)<BR><BR>Is there a function available that would return 5?<BR><BR>Something like:<BR><BR> &#039This would set n = 5<BR> n = dimNum(a)<BR> <BR>I&#039ve looked around a bit, but haven&#039t seen anything on this topic.<BR><BR>Much thanks,<BR>John

Default RE: How do you test an array for dimensions?

How about this:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>Function dimCount( ByRef ar )<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; For i = 1 To 100<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; bound = -1<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; On Error Resume Next<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; bound = UBound( ar, i )<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; On Error GoTo 0<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; If bound = -1 Then<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; dimCount = i - 1<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Exit Function<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; End If<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; Next<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; dimCount = -1 &#039 impossible!<BR>End Function<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>Note that this will return 0 if the given argument is *NOT* an array! (Because the UBound will fail for i=1, of course.) And -1 if I screwed up something.<BR><BR>

Richard A. Lowe Guest

Default JScript to the rescue...

Include this and call CountDims() passing it an array:<BR><BR>&#060;script language="JScript" runat="server"&#062;<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;function CountDims(arrVBArray) {<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;return arrVBArray.dimensions();<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;}<BR >&#060;/script&#062;