Creating SQL Tables on the Hosting Company's R

Thread: Creating SQL Tables on the Hosting Company's R

Stephen of New York Guest

Default Creating SQL Tables on the Hosting Company's R

Creating SQL Tables on the Hosting Company&#039s Remote Server<BR><BR>Hello Gents,<BR>I just opened an account with a web hosting company with SQL 7.0. I thought I was ready to create an SQL database with Visual Interdev the PROFESSIONAL Edition.<BR>I was then told that I had to have the Visual interdev ENTERPRISE EDITION in order connect to a remote SQL database. <BR>Does anyone else know if that is TRUE ? <BR>I was told that i need to have either the Visual Interdev Enterprise Edition or SQL 7 Enterprise manager.<BR>Does anyone know where I can find these software items below MSRP ?

Jim Benton Guest

Default RE: Creating SQL Tables on the Hosting Company

I was basically in the same boat you were. I run a web site that is on a hosting company server that provides SQL Server 7.0. Initially I was using Access for our databases but quickly realized we had to upsize to SQL Server because of the limited amount of users Access can handle. I upsized our Access databases to SQL Server using the free Upsize Wizard provided by Microsoft. <BR><BR>This worked fine and I didn&#039t initially need SQL Server installed on my computer until I had to add a new table to the database. I ran into a problem because I could not carry over the new table&#039s relationship with the other tables when I upsized.<BR><BR>Fortunately I had ordered a evaluation copy of SQL Server 7.0 about a month ago and it just came in the mail today. I did a custom install and added Enterprise Manager by itself. Once I figured out how to connect to the remote SQL Server I was able to configure the proper relationships (triggers as they are called in SQL Server) for my new table. <BR><BR>My advice to you is order an evaluation copy of SQL Server 7.0 at www.microsoft.com/sql . It costs about $10 for shipping or you can download the whole thing for free if you have the patience and the hard disk space! I&#039m pretty sure Enterprise Manager is the only tool you will need to manage your database remotely. But I don&#039t think there is any other way to get Enterprise Manager by itself unfortunately.

Stephen of New York Guest

Default RE: Creating SQL Tables on the Hosting Company SQL

Thank you very much.<BR>That was very helpful feedback.<BR>I spent about 1 or 2 weeks to learn that you cannot create SQL tables with the professional edition of visual interdev.<BR>I guess the fact is that you need. Visual Studio 6.0 or SQL Enterprise Manager<BR><BR>Stephen<BR>MrHitmaker@aol.com<BR>

Default RE: Creating SQL Tables on the Hosting Company SQL

Find an old copy of VisInterDev 1.0 - it still works fine and has db connectivity capabilities.<BR><BR>George