Alphabetical Hyperlinks

Thread: Alphabetical Hyperlinks

Default Alphabetical Hyperlinks

i have an alphabetical listing(A, B, C, ...) on an ASP page. Clicking on an alphabet should take the user to the first name (beginning with that alphabet) of, say, a doctor populated in a dropdown box.<BR>These are hyperlinks for each alphabet. Alphabet.asp is the name of the pager being reloaded.:<BR><BR>&#060;A HREF="alphabet.asp?letter=a"&#062;A&#060;/A&#062;&nbsp;&#060;a href="alphabet.asp?letter=b"&#062;B&#060;/a&#062;<BR><BR>The DSN connection is:<BR><BR>&#060;% <BR><BR>Set MyRecordsetObject=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recor dset")<BR><BR>MyRecordsetObject.Open"SELECT name FROM catch.ds_practitioners where name like&#039"&Request.QueryString("letter")&"%&#039", "DSN=mydata"<BR><BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>When i load alphabet.asp, the dropdown gets populated with all the values in the database instead of the names starting with the particular alphabet in the SQL query (Request.Querystring...etc) part.<BR><BR>I checked the query in Oracle SQL and it worked.<BR><BR>Any clues?<BR><BR>

Default My dumb question...

So you see the page on your browser as alphabet.asp?letter=a correct? And you&#039ve tested that query:<BR>SELECT name FROM catch.ds_practitioners WHERE name like &#039a%&#039 and everything works out fine? Incidentally, why pass lower case instead of upper case? I don&#039t see anything really wrong, but I could see if you just loaded alphabet.asp without the query string that everything would go.