Idiot proof installation

Thread: Idiot proof installation

Jason C Guest

Default Idiot proof installation

Hi<BR><BR>I have managed to build some scripts that I want to make freeware but with a minimum of installation support from my end. I see with the Newspro (CGI/Perl) that this script all you do is upload and run setup and then follow the online instructions condifuring the scripts.<BR><BR>I was wondering if there was a way to do this, I have already tried a script that asks the user all the general configuration questions, like location of the database etc etc and then storing this in a database which is read everytime the script is accessed/run. It works but is not idiot proof becuase the user could be technically inept and not know what the path to the database is etc.<BR><BR>Is there anyway to get this more automated and take more of the configuartion work out of the users hands ?<BR><BR>Regards and TIA<BR>Jason C

Richard A. Lowe Guest

Default What do you want it to do?

What exactly do you want the install to do? What do your scripts do?<BR><BR>Do you want it to create virtual app folders? Detect and attach to a certain database?<BR><BR>Richard

Jason C Guest

Default RE: What do you want it to do?

My scripts are content management basically. What I wanted to do is have a simple GUI that would detect the current working directory (the directory that the database and ASP files are in) and use this in the connection string without the user having to modify the scripts him/herself.