compacting an access db using asp?

Thread: compacting an access db using asp?

Allen Weiss Guest

Default compacting an access db using asp?

Is it possible to run a short asp program to compact my database? I&#039m using Access &#039 97 and, obviously, can do this manually but would like to do this everytime I do site maintenance by running a simple web page. Thanks for any advice on this.<BR><BR>Allen

Default RE: compacting an access db using asp?

If all you want to do is delete records from the database then you can create a .asp page that connects to the database, searches for the records you want to delete using an SQL statement and then deletes those records using another SQL statement.<BR>www.learnasp.com/learn/ has some tutorials on how to do this<BR><BR>or check out http://4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/faq/Databases/faq2.shtml<BR><BR>on this site<BR><BR>Tanya

Allen Weiss Guest

Actually, I don&#039t want to delete records. As you probably know, every time you update an access database with new records, or even just deleting some records and adding some new ones, the database size blows up exponentially (I think its like a word or excel document that keeps saving prior versions until you compress the file). For this reason, all I want to do is compress the file. <BR>Thanks for you response.

Stephen Fisher Guest

I doubt you could do this through ADo, which only leaves writing a COM object using the Access object model. If you can do this in the access object model, than you could wrap it in COM and do it in ASP.