ole objects, word docs, pdf and access

Thread: ole objects, word docs, pdf and access

Sam Foster Guest

Default ole objects, word docs, pdf and access

Is it AT ALL possible to store .doc, .pdf and other binary file types in an<BR>Access OLE Object field and pull them out with ASP code WITHOUT having to<BR>create .dlls to do it?<BR><BR>Is there anyone who has succeeded?<BR><BR>I&#039ve spent a day or so trawling the groups, been led to believe the code<BR>was contained in Wrox&#039s Pro. ASP 3.0 but have failed to find it.<BR><BR>All I can find are the MS article which tells you how to create a .dll to<BR>strip off the ole header for .bmp files (tried it and weyheyhey it worked -<BR>but loathed to start tinkering to see if I can get it to do .doc etc!) and<BR>display them.<BR><BR>I&#039ve had a fiddle with SQL, although a complete newbie, and my cursory<BR>examination indicates that you can&#039t use a GUI to just copy and paste files<BR>into the BLOB (aka Image) fields. You have to use bcp right?<BR><BR>I was hoping to build an Access front end to Access database which would<BR>allow staff to drop Word files and Acrobat files into the form, and then<BR>have the web side of things spit them out as downloadable files for<BR>students to pick up. The world on a stick?<BR><BR>Anyway, I&#039m towards the end of my tether. <BR><BR>Please help me before I take a hammer to my PC!<BR><BR>All the best,<BR><BR>Sam<BR><BR>

Default RE: ole objects, word docs, pdf and access

I should have added that I&#039ve also seen a lot about taking images from Access databases etc such as the ones titled &#039Pulling images etc etc&#039 from ASPToday. All seem to infer you need a &#039magic number&#039 which is the lenth of the OLE header to strip off before writing the binary.<BR><BR>I&#039d like to think you just can&#039t do this. Because then I&#039ll feel happy that the reason I couldn&#039t do it was because you just can&#039t do it.<BR><BR>So there&#039s a challenge!<BR><BR>Thanks in advance...<BR><BR>Sam<BR><BR>s.foster@bangor.ac.uk