Reading a text file

Thread: Reading a text file

Default Reading a text file

Hi,<BR> I&#039m trying to put the content of a text file in a variable, using this code:<BR><BR>&#060;%Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")<BR>Set inFile = FSO.OpenTextFile("add.txt")<BR>textString = inFile.ReadAll<BR>inFile.Close%&#062;<BR><BR>This is the result:<BR><BR>Microsoft VBScript runtime error &#039 800a003e&#039 <BR>Input past end of file <BR>/ecomAdmin/textfile.asp, line 4 <BR><BR>What can I do to fix this? <BR>Thanks a lot<BR><BR>

Default Location of text file?

It looks to me like the file is empty. So you open it and try to read, there is nothing to read, so you get that quite reasonable error.<BR><BR>Where do you think that file is, that you are opening? More than likely, it is "c:windowssystemadd.txt" or something akin to that. Reason: You simply opened "add.txt", so by default the file is in the same directory as where the Web server (IIS or PWS) was started.<BR><BR>You *probably* need to do <BR><BR>OpenTextFile( Server.MapPath("add.txt") )<BR><BR>in order to work with a file in the same directory as your ASP file.<BR><BR>