Inter-dependant list boxes - how to?

Thread: Inter-dependant list boxes - how to?

Ralph Price Guest

Default Inter-dependant list boxes - how to?

Hi<BR><BR>what I would like to be able to do with a pair of list boxes is have the set of values able to be chosen from the second list box being dependant on the value chosen from the first list box.<BR><BR>ie 5 choices in the first list box means that there are 5 different list box option sets that correspond to them.<BR><BR>This is so that a user can choice a search type:<BR> &#060;SELECT NAME="searchBy" SIZE="1"&#062;<BR> &#060;OPTION&#062;Cost Centre&#060;/OPTION&#062;<BR> &#060;OPTION&#062;UserName&#060;/OPTION&#062;<BR> &#060;OPTION&#062;Position&#060;/OPTION&#062;<BR> &#060;OPTION&#062;LabelNum&#060;/OPTION&#062;<BR> &#060;/SELECT&#062;<BR><BR><BR>and then for each of these have a list of:<BR>cost centres<BR>users<BR>positions<BR>and label numbers<BR><BR>which will then generate different reports.<BR><BR>The second list sets will be generated from database queries. I currently have this working correctly for cost centres.<BR><BR>Have you any thoughts as to how best to tackle this issue?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>====================== ==========================<BR>Ralph Price<BR>Data Administrator<BR>Rotorua District Council <BR>New Zealand<BR>Ph 64 7 350 0209 Xtn 8146<BR>========================================== ======

Default RE: Inter-dependant list boxes - how to?

Default Several ways...

There are several ways to do this.<BR><BR>I suspect that if you would do a SEARCH on 4GuysFromRolla you&#039d find a couple of articles.<BR><BR>I have my own demo at (the "categories" demo there).<BR><BR>You can do it without a roundtrip to the server if you follow the instructions for "dynamic lists" (do a search) at<BR><BR>Root around in those a while, then come back and ask specific questions if you need to.<BR><BR>