Darn cache!

Thread: Darn cache!

Dave Eisenberg Guest

Default Darn cache!

What the hell is the deal with browser cache?? I need to know the real deal, and I can&#039t seem to find a solid answer. I thought a browser will refresh a previously visited page if the date/time stamp on the file is newer than the one in cache!? That doesn&#039t seem to be the case. Also, all of these meta tags seem to make no difference:<BR>&#060;meta HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0"&#062;<BR>&#060;meta HTTP-EQUIV="pragma" CONTENT="no-cache"&#062;<BR>&#060;meta HTTP-EQUIV="cache-control" CONTENT="private"&#062;<BR>So, what&#039s the deal? Sometimes, I can update a page with one sentence, and it gets re-loaded... others, I can change the whole appearance of a page and the old one is still cached! <BR>The only thing that seems to work is to make it an .ASP page instead, and use this line of ASP code at the top:<BR>Response.Expires=0<BR>Other than that, I can&#039t figure it out... no to mention the fact that Netscape and IE behave differently from each other too! Argh!!<BR>Can anyone explain this to me?<BR>-Dave

Susanne Guest

Default RE: Darn cache!

I use the Response.Expires=0 on an asp page or have the Enable Content Expiration set for the site (HTTP Headers Setting).<BR><BR>This will solve the problem generically is that&#039s what you want.<BR><BR>Hope this is of some help<BR>Susanne