IP Masquerade

Thread: IP Masquerade

Default IP Masquerade

Is there a way with ASP to masquerade an IP address? My problem is that I need to allow my users to get to an IP restricted site, and for whatever reason, the Library can&#039t (or won&#039t) &#039allow&#039 my outgoing IP.<BR><BR>You said no question to difficult....

Joe Duncan Guest

Default RE: IP Masquerade

Well, from what I know about IP masquarading it simply takes the outgoing packets (inbound connections cannot be IP masq&#039d as the machine doing the masquarading doesn&#039t know to which internal computer thay are going...) and swaps the internal IP on the LAN in the packet for the IP Masq machines IP address.<BR><BR>To do this in ASP you would need to write a COM component .dll in a language that has some low level access to the TCP/IP packets of the (I&#039m assuming) microsloth TCP/IP stack. <BR><BR>You&#039ll need to find the format of a TCP/IP packet and then replace the internal IP address in eadch packet with the external IP address it is being sent out on. Then, once you have established a connection you need to swap the destination IP address in the incoming packets with the internal IP address of the machine that opened the session. I believe there&#039s a sequence or session number unique to each session that you can use for this, to tell which internal IP address to send the packet to.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Default RE: IP Masquerade

Thanks Jim... yeah.. it helps. It helps make the argument for a NAT box teetering on the firewall!