What Is ASP?

Thread: What Is ASP?

M00NLTSNTA Guest

Default What Is ASP?

I&#039m a newbie. I am a fine art major who would love to combine her love for art with her love for computers. Headhunter asked if I had knowledge in ASP. What is the difference between ASP and HMTL?

Default RE: What Is ASP?

ASP is stands for Active Server Pages and it is quite similar to<BR>HTML .But the differnce HTML is a client side programming lnguage whereas ASP is a server side programming language.

Rosi Morris Guest

Thank you on M00N&#039s behalf. I have an additional question re: ASP. Are the differences major? Can someone who has a grasp of HTML catch onto ASP relatively quickly?

Yes But u will have to learn scripting language like Vbsript or<BR>JScript.For beginners i will suggest For VBscript which is very easy to learn and some object methodology using ASP with VBscript<BR>

Rosi Morris Guest

Can I learn this on the web? Or must I learn from an actually HD copy book? If a book, can you suggest a title?<BR>Thank you!

I think you can learn this on the web. Check out sites like http://4GuysFromRolla.com/webtech/faq, and http://www.activeserverpages.com/learn. Those are some great starting places for beginners.<BR><BR>Good luck, and be sure to come back here as you learn ASP and have questions! :)

Default Other options

There are some similar options to ASP and unless you HAVE to learn ASP, consider:<BR><BR>Do I require server side scripting?<BR> If not, consider javascript, dhtml, very easy stuff.<BR><BR>If I need server side scripting there are basically 3 options:<BR>1. ASP<BR>2. ColdFusion<BR>3. Perl<BR><BR>It depends on how much you want to do and how much actual coding<BR>you want to do. Each has its benefits and weaknesses.<BR>But learning anyone of these is time consuming so weigh<BR>your options.

I learned useing the textbook Beginning Active Server Pages 2.0 from WROX press. Combining that with the resources on the web will enable you to do a lot with ASP.