It works on my computer?!

Thread: It works on my computer?!

Default It works on my computer?!

I have been making a forum for my website. I have all of the proggraming and design done as well as several test threads and replies already in the database. I am running windows 98 with the Personal Web Server. My forum works perfectly on my computer, but as soon as I uploaded it to the web I get a strange error message. The forum reads the database just fine, but as soon as I try to update a record or make a new record (ie post a message or reply) it gives me the following error.<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039 80004005&#039 <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query. <BR><BR>/betas/v.1/communicator/forum.asp, line 321 <BR><BR><BR>What does that error mean? here is the address of my forum:<BR><BR><BR><BR>If you could help me that would be fantastic. If you need to source code for the forum feel free to reply and ask for it. It is a very long code.

David Geran Guest

Default RE: It works on my computer?!

Mike<BR><BR>The only time I&#039ve come across this error message (or similar) is when trying to use a stored procedure in Access and not passing the parameters the correct data type.<BR><BR>Unfortinately when using an Access db this type of error message appears for everything from an incorrect ADO cursor-type through to mis-spelling of a query name or parameter.<BR><BR>If your .asp SQL syntax is correct then I&#039d advise checking paramter data types or focusing on the database itself for the solution.. <BR><BR>Dave

Default RE: It works on my computer?!

Mike,<BR><BR>I think you may have mailed me to ask me this at the weekend. I was in no state to look at ASP then however, and have only been reminded of the question now. I had this problem and if I remember correctly it was to do with the permissions that were set on the server. You need to ensure that users of the sire have write access to the database where the forum messages are stored. Ensure that you have got these permissions set on the server and if you still have trouble let me know and I will have a look.<BR><BR>Cheers<BR>Ross

Thank you Guest

Default Thank you all for your help

I will try to set my premissions correctly and go over my coding. <BR><BR>Thanks,<BR> Mike