Access to Database

Thread: Access to Database

Nilav Guest

Default Access to Database

Hi,<BR><BR>can somebody help me accessing a SQL7 DBase resident on a pc different from the webserver via ASP?<BR>Can I use a connection string with the phisical path?<BR>Can I use an ODBC driver?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Default RE: Access to Database

Have you also got SQL Server running on the IIS machine? If so, you could register the SQL Server on the other machine in Enerprise Manager and it would then be available for your connection string (Server=yourServer etc.)

Joel M Guest

Default easier solution

You don&#039t need to have SQL server running on the IIS machine... if it&#039s on a LAN with the IIS box.... you can just use it&#039s network name when you setup the DSN (definitely use a DSN)...<BR><BR>or if it&#039s over the internet.... use the IP address in place of the server name... it works like a charm<BR><BR>hope it helps

Gerry Guest

Default RE: easier solution

This seems easier but I get this error message:<BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file &#039(unknown)&#039. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data. <BR><BR>/link/resources/include/conn.asp, line 1 <BR><BR>My odbc test connection works... Any ideas?<BR>

Gerry Guest

Default RE: easier solution

I think the error is occuring because teh IUSR or account that IIS is using to access the share doesn&#039t have access on the other server. I&#039m going to try messing with the security tomorrow.. Other suggestions still welcome..