I maintain a large web app that makes use of Seagate&#039s Crystal Smart Viewer component for viewing and printing reports. Recently something seems to have killed the automatic download capability that Explorer has when you access a webpage with an activex component for the 1st time. This occurs on numerous different workstations, both on our intranet and over the internet from remote offices. It occurs with IE4 and IE5, under Win95, Win98 and NT Workstation 4.<BR><BR>Here is an excerpt of the object tag code from the relevant asp:<BR><BR>&#060;OBJECT ALIGN = "LEFT" ID="CRViewer" WIDTH=100% HEIGHT=100%<BR> CLASSID="CLSID:C4847596-972C-11D0-9567-00A0C9273C2A"<BR> CODEBASE="/REPORTS/CRViewer.dll"&#062;<BR> &#060;PARAM NAME="Report Name" VALUE="....
eports
ptserver.asp"&#062;<BR> &#060;PARAM NAME="Has Group Tree" VALUE= 0&#062;<BR> &#060;PARAM NAME="Show Group Tree" VALUE= 0&#062;<BR> &#060;PARAM NAME="Show Toolbar" VALUE= 1&#062;<BR> &#060;Param Name="Has Animation Control" Value=1&#062;<BR> &#060;Param Name="Has Progress Control" Value=1&#062;<BR> &#060;Param Name="Has Zoom Control" Value=1&#062;<BR>&#060;/OBJECT&#062;<BR><BR>Instead of bringing up an Authenticode dialog box asking us if we want to download the smart viewer component, we just get an empty rectangle with the infamous "red x" in the upper left corner where the viewer screen should be. This code worked fine for months. No changes have been made to that object reference since the last known working date.<BR><BR>I&#039ve tried changing security levels to minimum, even setting custom levels to allow everything. I&#039ve tried changing the CODEBASE attribute in the &#060;OBJECT&#062; tag for the Crystal component to different values and placing the component at different locations to download from. I&#039ve gone over and over properties and configurations for IIS and NT. I can&#039t get it to work.<BR><BR>I&#039ve even downloaded the Authenticode utilities from Microsoft and used CHKTRUST.EXE to check CRVIEWER.DLL itself. It passed with flying colors.<BR><BR>I&#039m at a loss on this one. I&#039m having to email copies of the DLL to our clients and talk them through manually registering it on their machines using REGSVR32.EXE. Not a fun task, I assure you !!<BR><BR>Help ??<BR><BR>John Morrison<BR>jmorrison@uicimktg.com<BR>