Path for Web Server and Local Viewing

Thread: Path for Web Server and Local Viewing

Jeff Bean Guest

Default Path for Web Server and Local Viewing

How do you write the path in hyperlink tag so the links work when using on a web server and when using locally. I have a sight that has links to pictures on it and I would like to burn on a cd and be able to view it from the cd.

Default RE: Path for Web Server and Local Viewing

As long as the directory structure on the CD is exactly the same as the one on the web server you can accomplish what you want by using relative references. <BR><BR>ex.<BR>&#060;a href="graphics/image.gif"&#062; <BR>instead of <BR>&#060;a href=""&#062;<BR><BR>This would point to an image file named "image.gif" located in a a subdirectory named "graphics".

Jon ( Guest

Default RE: Path for Web Server and Local Viewing

rather than including the whole address, http://www.etc just add the necessary directories.<BR><BR>eg: Say you have your page in your root directory and images in a directory called &#039images&#039. Link to the images like so &#060;img src="images/name.gif"&#062;<BR><BR>It&#039s the same with pages, if you have pages in other directories link using just them... eg: &#060;a href="html/index.asp"&#062;<BR><BR>Also: If the above page &#039index.asp&#039 inside the &#039html&#039 directory needs images from the directory &#039images&#039 you can use &#060;img src="../images/name.gif"&#062; (ie: ../ takes it back one!)<BR><BR>If you set your site up like this it will would the same on your web server, hard drive and on a CD.<BR><BR>If this didn&#039t answer your question.... reply and I&#039ll try again.<BR><BR>Jon