CDONTS and HOTMAIL... Where's the bug????

Thread: CDONTS and HOTMAIL... Where's the bug????

Scoobis Guest

Default CDONTS and HOTMAIL... Where's the bug????

Hello,<BR>I recently used CDONTS to send a bulk mail to our sites membership. Everything went fine for the most part except for a few messages to &#060;; addresses. The morning after sending the mail out, I arrived early to receive a call from a member who was very angry, she had received our message 3,000+ times. I freaked, thinking at first that I had created a nightmare loop that was never ending, just continuing to resend the message over and over again to every member. <BR><BR>I checked the server, ran some tests, looked at the logs and everything I saw said that it sent just one message out to each member. I used the bcc field, looping through the database, setting a counter with an if statement which when the counter would reach 20 it would send, and then start creating the next bcc string. <BR><BR>I ended up receiving four calls or messages, all from hotmail users who has received our message multiple times. I contacted hotmail, got a tech who responded back to me with the following;<BR><BR>"What I&#039ve noted with IIS 4.0 and Hotmail is:<BR>1: One sends an email which has X number of Hotmail addresses in the cc field and one returns as &#039no such user&#039, or &#039account inactive&#039, or &#039service unavailable, mailbox full&#039: the other X-1 hotmail users recieve a copy.<BR>2: This causes Hotmail to say &#039sorry, 554 error&#039 in regards that one account; other users in that list receieve a copy of the email.<BR>3: IIS- for some reason- interprets that as &#039NONE of these went through&#039 and then for some reason retries on a 554 instead of giving up (most other mail programs give up / drop dead @ a 554), and delivers the mail, again, to X Hotmail users.<BR>4: back to 1<BR><BR>It&#039s a really really _ugly_ bug, and I honestly do not know enough about how it&#039s solved, but I have been told there&#039s a solution in the Knowledge Base for this and that it&#039s some manner of patch one can find there."<BR><BR>I have searched all over the place, and can find nothing about this, at MS etc. So I am wondering if anyone here has experienced anything similar with hotmail? My thinking is that this was some sort of bizarre problem at hotmail and not at all related to me. We has 750+ other hotmail users whom only received the message once.<BR><BR>SPECS: IIS 4.0, NT service pack 5, SQL server 7.0

Kaka Guest

Default RE: CDONTS and HOTMAIL... Where's the bug????

This is not a problem with Hotmail. You can probably use a code component which checks that the mail if sent to one user dosen&#039t bug and gets multiplied.This component you can find in wrox.