Performance issue -- Faster to loop through record

Thread: Performance issue -- Faster to loop through record

J. Wilson Guest

Default Performance issue -- Faster to loop through record

I have a list of 50 checkboxes (one for each state).<BR>I want to pull in default values for a user based on whether or not they checked these boxes earlier.<BR>Would it be faster to pull in a recordset of all their selected values (0-50 rows possible), and for each state, loop through the recordset to see if it is in there...<BR>or for each state, do a seperate, specific query, opening a recordset to see if that particular state is in there. (open recordset 50 times.)<BR>Thanks.

Default RE: Performance issue -- Faster to loop through re

It would certainly be less taxing on your network to do a single query. If you then converted the recordset into an array with getrows and looped through the array, it would probably be many times faster as well.

Default Faster still to rethink problem....

EVERY query is a TERRIFIC hit on your system&#039s performance. One query is many, many times faster.<BR><BR>BUT...<BR><BR>Why a nested loop?<BR><BR>If you do an ORDER BY on the query, then you can do a "merge" on your list of states vs. the DB results.<BR><BR>Something like this:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>states = Array("AK", "AL", "AR", .... )<BR><BR>SQL = "SELECT state, ... FROM ... ORDER BY state"<BR>Set RS = yourConnection.Execute(SQL)<BR><BR>For i = 0 To UBound( states )<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; info = "" &#039 no info from RS<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Response.Write "&#060;INPUT Type=Checkbox Name=State Value=&#039" & states(i) & "&#039"<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If NOT RS.EOF Then<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If RS("state") = states(i) Then <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Response.Write " CHECKED"<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; info = RS("someotherfield") &#039 ??? what you called &#039default values&#039???<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; RS.MoveNext<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; End If<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; End If<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Response.Write "&#062;" & info<BR>Next<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>See it? Since the states are in order in the array *AND* in the RecordSet, you simply go through them like you were trying to match cards in an ordered deck vs. cards in an ordered hand. You always flip a card in the deck, but you only flip one in the hand after you find a match in the deck. You won&#039t miss any, guaranteed!<BR><BR><BR>