Closing Recordsets and Conxion Objects

Thread: Closing Recordsets and Conxion Objects

KYOKO Guest

Default Closing Recordsets and Conxion Objects

I am conufsed about closing recordsets and connecton objects.<BR><BR>Do I absolutely need to close either or both?<BR><BR>Along the same lines, do I need a connection object (set rs=server.createobject("adodb.recordset") ) for each recordset created by a query, or will one connection object handle multiple recordsets?<BR><BR>

Default RE: Closing Recordsets and Conxion Objects

You do not &#039absolutely need to&#039, but you &#039absolutely should&#039. It&#039s good programming, and keeping it as a habit will help you avoid difficult-to-reproduce bugs. Also, in some instances (that have to do with connection pooling), closing a connection and setting it to nothing will dramatically improve performance.<BR><BR>Do it, live it, breathe it.<BR><BR>As for your second question, one connection can be used for unlimited recordsets.

Kyoko Guest

Default Will it hurt perfomance to use Mulitple RS Objects

Does it hurt performance to use one recordset per connection object?<BR><BR>

Kyoko Guest

Default I meant multiple CONNECTION Objects

Los Angeles, CA

Default RE: I meant multiple CONNECTION Objects

WHY would you NEED multiple CONNECTION Objects??<BR><BR>Are you querying from more than one DB. DONT open more than one connection object UNLESS you are going to connect to more than one DB/Server. <BR><BR>If you HAVE TO i would suggest you close one and THEN open the other