ODBC Errors showing up on Web pages

Thread: ODBC Errors showing up on Web pages

ROB Guest

Default ODBC Errors showing up on Web pages

I&#039m trying to figure out how to do some error processing on a Web page (.asp) and wanted to see if you knew how to accomplish what we want.<BR><BR>In several of our .asp files, we set up Recordsets so that we can display data from a database into a grid. We are using Interdev&#039s design time controls for the recordset and for the grid. We are using ODBC with a DSN for our database connection. <BR><BR>Here&#039s the problem: If the database connection (specifically the Open call on the connection) times out because the database is not available we get something like the following in our Web Browser.<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039 80004005&#039 <BR>[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Specified SQL server not found. <BR>/pass.inc, line 47 <BR><BR>Do you know of a way to trap that error so that we can display a more user friendly message that the Database is currently unavailable, so they can try again later? I&#039m guessing this is kind of a standard thing in Web development, since I never see this type of error displayed when surfing the Web, even if the Database isn&#039t available. There has to be a more graceful and User-friendly way to present it. I&#039m just not familiar enough with web development yet to know how to detect this error.<BR>

Default RE: ODBC Errors showing up on Web pages

Check out:<BR>http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/060399-1.shtml<BR><BR>It is an article that discusses how to perform error handling using VBScript.

ROB Guest

Default RE: ODBC Errors showing up on Web pages - Javascri

Thanks. That article helped and the solution worked well for a page that I had where I set up my recordset in VBScript. Is there a way to accomplish the same thing in Javascript? Interdev kicked out the init code for some of my recordsets and that code is in Javascript.