Where did they go?

Thread: Where did they go?

Papa Zito Guest

Default Where did they go?

This is kind of a general technical question... I&#039ve noticed that sometimes, when using session variables, if the users just sits there for a little while and doesn&#039t do anything, they tend to lose the session variables... they just disappear or something. Sometimes they&#039re also lost if the user leaves the site, then returns (without closing the browser window). What&#039s going on? How do I prevent/fix/deal with this?

E! Guest

Default RE: Where did they go?

There is a timeout property with session information... you can either set this number either explicitly in your asp, or in the application config in IIS...<BR><BR>If they leave your site, the session will terminate, and you will lose your session variables...<BR><BR>Session.Timeout = NumMinutes<BR><BR>HTH...<BR><BR>

Papa Zito Guest

Well, I&#039m glad it wasn&#039t just me...<BR><BR>If I set it explicitly in my ASP, will it override the IIS settings, like Server.ScriptTimeout does? Also, do you have any idea what the default is?

E! Guest

Setting the value will override IIS... But, the IIS session timeout needs to be activated...<BR><BR>I&#039m not sure what the default in IIS is... I think it&#039s 20 minutes... There is also an ASP script timeout... Check it out in the application config in the Management Console of IIS...

Papa Zito Guest

Default Thanks a bunch

Sounds good, thanks for your help!