will my asp app and db hold up to multiple simutan

Thread: will my asp app and db hold up to multiple simutan

mark Guest

Default will my asp app and db hold up to multiple simutan

I&#039ve built this entire application by creating my record set objects implicitly, like this:<BR><BR>Set MyConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") <BR>MyConn.Open "DBQ=" & Server.Mappath("internal.mdb") & ";Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};" <BR><BR>myvar = "Insert Into Instructorpool(employeeID, courseId, tagteam, statusID) " <BR>myvar = myvar & "Values ("&request.form("employeeID")&",&#039"&request.for m("courseID")&"&#039,&#039"&tagteam&"&#039, &#039"&request.form("statusID")&"&#039)"<BR><BR>se t myvar = myconn.execute(myvar) <BR><BR>as opposed to the explicit way of creating an recordset: <BR><BR> Set rst = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.recordset") <BR> rst.open "JobsAvail", "Jobs", adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic, adCmdTable <BR> rst.AddNew <BR><BR> rst("Available") = VarAvail <BR> rst("JobTitle") = VarJobTitle <BR><BR> rst.Update <BR> rst.Close <BR><BR>Im worried that since there are going to be many users at any time using this intranet application that something is going to foul up, i.e. my database will crash or something. Im finishing up the site now, and were getting ready to stress test it. I guess what Im wondering is will the way I created recordsets be able to handle the load of many users? Will my database get corrupted if people are doing simutaneous updates?<BR><BR><BR>

Default Yours is the better of the two ways...

It&#039s been proven time and again that doing a SQL INSERT is somewhat more efficient and more conducive to multiple users than is RecordSet.AddNew. (If I recall correctly, there are a couple of pages on the topic on www.LearnASP.com, but don&#039t hold me to that.)<BR><BR>This doesn&#039t say your site will stand the strain! There are too many variables to know what will happen. How many is "many users"??? But at least you picked the better of the two ways to start off with.<BR><BR>Go for it.<BR><BR>

mark Guest

Default RE: Yours is the better of the two ways...

Your the man bill! that relieves much stress I&#039ve had. I estimate less than 50 users at a time. I am going to learnasp to check out what they say, if anyone knows of any other links, please post &#039em.

Default RE: will my asp app and db hold up to multiple sim

I would wrap it in an ADO transaction, like this.<BR><BR>myconn.begintrans<BR>myconn.execute(m yvar) <BR>if myconn.errors.count &#062; 0 then<BR> &#039you can display the error or try the transaction again<BR> myconn.rollbackTrans<BR>else<BR> myconn.comitTrans<BR>end if<BR>