Can you tell me ..........

Thread: Can you tell me ..........

Silven Guest

Default Can you tell me ..........

What exactly is the difference between server side scripting and client side scripting (not where it executes)?<BR>

Default RE: Can you tell me ..........

As far as I can tell the only thing that makes server-side scripting different from the client script ( besides the obvious ) is the objects that it contains. The syntax is the same because it pretty much uses the same scripting engine. But on the server-side you have available to you the asp objects<BR><BR>response<BR>request<BR>application< BR>session<BR>server<BR><BR>And the server object which in turn can create more objects for you to use with server.createobject. Likewise with the client scripting you can use the document and window and all the other objects depending on the browser. But heres one thing.. on server-script you only have to worry about one platform. The server your on. But with client-script you may have to do some browser detection to avoid errors. I prefer to use client script when possible to keep stress off the server. Form validations etc. Also server script can dynamically create cool client-scripts in some instances when needed. But not visa versa. Im sure Im missing things. Oh yeah and server script is parsed before client scripts so the following is perfectly legal<BR><BR>&#060;input type="text" value="&#060;%=rs("foo")%&#062;"&#062;<BR><BR>Asp is probobly the only time in my life I have ever seen 4 quotes together like that without escape characters.