ODBC OLE-DB Question

Thread: ODBC OLE-DB Question

Charlie Pyne Guest

Default ODBC OLE-DB Question

I&#039m just starting to learn ASP. I have one of the Wrox books "Beginning ASP 2.0". It that explains the technical difference between connecting to a database through ODBC vs connecting directly w/ OLE-DB.. My question is, Which one of these should I be using??? I&#039ve got the ODBC method to work, but I&#039ve had no luck with OLE-DB.<BR><BR>Some brief advice would be a BIG help before I dive too deep into this....<BR><BR>

Rude Jake Guest

Default RE: ODBC OLE-DB Question

OLEDB is DSNless which makes it more secure, because it&#039s all runtime, and also faster... there is an article on using oledb as a provider over DSN&#039s in 4guysfromrolla.com that discusses the advantages...<BR><BR>I use this simple connection, and recordet often:<BR><BR>Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>objConn .Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source="&Server.MapPath(DatabasePath)&";"<BR><BR>S et objRs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR>objRs.Op en SQLstatement, objConn, 3, 3<BR>

Default RE: ODBC OLE-DB Question

Here is the great link.<BR><BR>http://www.able-consulting.com/ado_conn.htm?f=ado_conn.htm