News Ticker

Thread: News Ticker

Default News Ticker

Hi,<BR><BR>I am looking to develop/get a news ticker for my site. The site is powered completely by ASP with an SQL server 7 backend. I want the news ticker to be the same i.e. I want all the content to come from a database table, thus an administrator could update the content of the ticker through a simple form. Ideally, I would like a ticker such as the one at or a vertically scrolling ticker. I have found a number of such tickers on the Web but they are all Java applets, which I know very little about. I was wondering if anyone had created such a database driven news ticker and if so how?<BR><BR>Many thanks in advance,<BR><BR>Ross

WebLeppard Guest

Default RE: News Ticker

Here are the components you need.<BR>First the DB with the info; Next, the ASP page with the code that calls the info to that page; Finally, the Javascript ticker which will display the message based upon, say, time of day or day of week.<BR>Here is the JS to display the ticker --<BR>You will need to code the day of the week code into the asp page. Work incrementally and simply display the message before progressing to the JS. Good luck. See below<BR><BR>In Head: <BR>&#060;SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"&#062;<BR>&#060;!-- Begin<BR>var display_text = "&#060;%=myMessage%&#062; "<BR>var display_text;<BR>var place;<BR>var meter; <BR>var out = " ";<BR>var place = 50;<BR>function scroll_text() {<BR>for (meter = 0; meter &#060; place; meter++) {<BR>out += " "<BR>}<BR>if (place &#062;= 0)<BR>out += display_text<BR>else out = display_text.substring(-place,display_text.length)<BR>document.scroll_form .field.value = out<BR>out = " "<BR>place--<BR>if (place &#060; -(display_text.length)) {<BR>place = 50<BR>}<BR>setTimeout(&#039scroll_text()&#039,300) <BR>}<BR>// End --&#062;<BR>&#060;/SCRIPT&#062;<BR><BR>in Body:<BR>&#060;FORM NAME="scroll_form"&#062;<BR>&#060;input type="text" name="field" size="30"&#062;<BR>&#060;/FORM&#062;