Thread: javascript.....ASP....VBscript??

alexthegrateful Guest

Default javascript.....ASP....VBscript??

I am new to the world of programming.. i am looking into ASP. The only thing i have done is a "Hello World" in javascript. I was wondering if anyone could please help me.<BR><BR>I understand that ASP can use Javascript and VBscript but as i dont know what is VBscript what is javascript and what commands are ASP. <BR><BR>Could someone please give me some give me some guildlines on what I should do first with 0 (0.5) knowledge and where to start learning. Also any books which are good for beginners. <BR><BR>I would like to thank you for reading and anyone helping!<BR>cheers<BR>Alex

Default RE: javascript.....ASP....VBscript??

well I&#039m not totally sure whether this was a good idea or not but I started by basically reading the help included in PWS<BR><BR>then I started to come to places on-line like this<BR><BR>checkout 4guysfromrolla lots of really useful stuff, look at the "Reference" section to the left of this page<BR><BR>I have learnt purely from on-line articles and have never read a book - I think I&#039m doing ok so far, although I&#039m still finding out something new each day! I have a very strong programming background (lost count of how many languages!) so didn&#039t really have a problem picking up JavaScript and VBScript - the biggest issue was learning about the Document object model and differences between browsers - microsoft website is always worth a visit despite how you may or may not persoanlly feel about Mr Gates!<BR>

Chrace Guest

I always use, search for "ASP beginner guide" - you&#039ll probably get 10-12 different ones there. Try work through some of them, search for help (I have found that google finds quite nice answers on ASP questions)<BR><BR>Other than that (more reference style or slightly advanced):<BR><BR><BR>w

You will find ASP to be the answer to your hopes. It is very dynamic in that you can use ADO to connect to databases like so.<BR><BR>Dim conn<BR>Dim rs, sSql<BR>Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>conn.Op en "DSN=DB;UID=yourid;PWD=pass"<BR>Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR><BR>You can set simple VBscript variables like:<BR>&#060;%<BR>Dim switch<BR>switch = Yes<BR>If switch = Yes Then<BR>Response.Write "You Turned the bloody switch on!"<BR>End If<BR>switch = off<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>You can also request fields from forms and set the value into your database.<BR><BR>rs("FirstName") = Request.Form("FirstName")<BR><BR>so there you have some ideas.<BR><BR>