Comparing an Array to a variable

Thread: Comparing an Array to a variable

Default Comparing an Array to a variable

Hiyas all,<BR><BR>I am currently passing an array to an ASP which is a list of names eg: JohnMarkMatt - I have then used the Split function to seperate them into John, Mark, Matt. <BR><BR>Now what I need to do is compare the value of another variable eg: ExistingName to the array of names, whereby if a match is found the user would be forwarded to an error handler. I&#039ve had a lot of goes at this but just cannot seem to get it working =(<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for any help,<BR><BR>Justin

Default RE: Comparing an Array to a variable

You can use the InStr function<BR>InStr([start, ]string1, string2[, compare])<BR>

Ahhh cool, erm i&#039m unfortunately still a bit of a newbie even though I seem to be progressing along nicely =) .. do you have any or know of any code examples of this?<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR><BR>Justin

Nathen Grass Guest

You can accomplish this by using a For..Next loop:<BR><BR>&#039arrNames is the array of names<BR>&#039strEName is the variable<BR><BR>Dim x, blnMatch<BR><BR>blnMatch = False &#039Default to no match<BR><BR>For x = 0 to Ubound(arrNames())<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If arrNames(x) = strEName Then<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;blnMat ch = True<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Exit For<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<BR>Next<BR><BR>If blnMatch = True then<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&#039Execute error handler here<BR>Else<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&#039Execute code if there is no match here<BR>End If<BR>

Ahhhh, that looks like what I was looking for! - Cheers Nathen =)