ASP server doesn't create object for COM compo

Thread: ASP server doesn't create object for COM compo

Ragnar Midtskogen Guest

Default ASP server doesn't create object for COM compo

I have developed an ActiveX dll component, and tested it successfully from a VB project.<BR><BR>I have created an ASP page in Visual Interdev, where I create and reference an object from my dll, but when I try to view the page in IE, I get the following error message:<BR><BR>"Active Server Pages error ASP 0223, TypeLib not found.<BR><BR>METADATA tag contains a Type Library specification that does not match any Registry entry."<BR><BR>The metadata tag is in the global.asa, and the code in my asp does not even start running.<BR><BR>I am using Server.CreateObject to create the object. If I use just CreateObject, the error message is "VBScript runtime error 800a01 ad, ActiveX component can&#039t create object".<BR><BR><BR>I have searched the Registry for the UUID and it seems to be in all the right places.<BR><BR>I am running this on an NT 4.00 box which is running IIS.<BR><BR>The dll is in the winntsystem32 folder an has been successfully registered.<BR><BR>I have set the reference to the dll in the Project/References, and the object displays the properties and methods in the editor, so it seems to be recognized.<BR><BR>Any help would be appreciated, I am an experienced VB programmer, but this is my first attempt at ASP.<BR><BR>TIA,<BR><BR>Ragnar

Chrace Guest

Default RE: ASP server doesn't create object for COM c

"Any help would be appreciated" - guess I can do my 2 cents then.<BR><BR>Server.CreateObject("Collection.Class ") is the right way for sure.<BR><BR>It seems you have the ActiveX running as you say, since it&#039s registered and you can see it in an object viewer.<BR><BR>Other than that, the typelibrary is the entry point of the ActiveX component, defining the methods and propterties. I used this when I connected to VB made ActiveX components from Delphi, but as far as I remember, I never used the .tlb when connecting from ASP. Try remove the metatag from global.asa, it shouldn&#039t be nessecary.<BR><BR>I have had success in implementing new technology such as this by making very (very) simple ActiveX components - some that just has a set variable that can be read pucblicly. When you can read this, the technology is in place (takes 10-20 minutes to test).<BR>I have had severe problems with the datatypes going in and out from f.ex. Delphi and other typestrong languages to ASP since ASP uses variants for most. This is of course first relevant when the code starts running.

KPW Guest

Default RE: ASP server doesn't create object for COM c

What happens if you delete the reference from global.asa?<BR><BR>I am sure I saw this exact problem in Microsoft&#039s knowledge base, but of course when I try to specifically search for this problem then I can&#039t find anything!