dllhost.exe eats up memory!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dllhost.exe eats up memory!!

Thomas Gugler Guest

Default dllhost.exe eats up memory!!

the System:<BR>Machine1:Windows2000 Advanced server with IIS5<BR>Machine2:Windows2000 Advanced server with SQL7<BR>both are in the same Cluster...(sql and IIS is clustered)<BR><BR>our Problem:<BR>A website with just a lot hits (6.000.000 pageimpressions / Month) uses a lot of database access.<BR>The code is 100% sure correct<BR>(open connection, open recordet, read data, close recordset, set recordset=nothing, close connection, set connection=nothing)<BR>and the type of access is ADO.Connection.<BR><BR>The page is Medium Pooled, so inetinfo.exe and dllhost.exe are 2 different processes.<BR><BR>When i unload, load and start up the site:<BR>inetinfo.exe has about 15MB ram and<BR>dllhost.exe has the same memory usage.<BR><BR>sometimes, the dllhost.exe process uses up to 80% cpu-time...and inetinfo is still nearly idleing.<BR>after 1 minute dllhost.exe is also still normal (about 4% cpu usage)<BR><BR>In the performance-monitor i can see, that everything looks good, except dllhost.exe...<BR>it eats up memory.....from the beginnung 15MB, now, after 20hours running ist on 650MB !!!<BR>The graph is a linear growing chart!<BR><BR>Please, if anybody could help..that would be great.<BR>you should mail any solutions or hints to tg@immobilien.net,<BR>i could also mail you a screenshot of the performance-monitor or could tell you other not now announced information.<BR><BR>Thomas Gugler.<BR>(sorry for my bad englisch..;-)

Default RE: dllhost.exe eats up memory!!

Does the memory usage of dllhost.exe continue growing, or does it eventually level off? If it just keeps going then you&#039ve almost certainly got a memory leak somewhere. Check that you&#039re explicitly dropping all object references, not just ADO objects, including all objects used in your ASP scripts.<BR><BR>If that&#039s not it then I don&#039t know what...<BR><BR>Dunc

tg@immobilien.net Guest

the memory usage is continue growing, depending on the traffic.<BR>(more hits, more pageimpressions, more memory)<BR><BR>i just checked all ASP pages,<BR>and i can tell you:<BR>every .open ends with a .close and set XXX=nothing....<BR><BR>

Jmax Guest

Are you storing anything in an Application variable. If so make sure you have declared the variable(s) in global.asa. I have seen where IIS will Allocate additional memory for a variable each time it is referenced through out an app. If it was created within an .asp file. Also in your component are pulling back large recordsets?

Thomas Gugler Guest

your answer is interesting, but doesn&#039t seem to work.<BR><BR>I removed all (really all) Application-Variables,<BR>but nothing changed.<BR><BR>The dllhost.exe usually uses 2-20% of CPU time, less then inetinfo.exe!...<BR>and the used memory is also growing.<BR><BR>If anybody is interested in this Problem, i can send you a screenshot of the performace-monitor which shows the Problem better.(mail to tg@immobilien.net)<BR><BR>thx for any help, or any try to help..;-)<BR>Thomas Gugler.

rene vd kooi Guest

Did you install the SP1 for win2k?<BR>because we had such a problem here with the lsass.exe process.<BR>And M$ is still fixing the problem.<BR>I hink it was mentioned as a real bug.<BR><BR>Maybe the SP1 will fix it, else you need to try setting your pagehits to full pooled, and not medium pooled.<BR><BR>Let me know<BR>rene

Thomas Gugler Guest

thx for your try....but we have already SP1 installed.

M. K. Kuderka Guest

How did you solve your problem? A very similar thing happened this afternoon at work, and my boss is still at the office trying to fix the problem. All of a sudden, bing, all of our sites went down, with dllhost.exe eating up cpu. He&#039s thinking virus or hacker, or at least he was 5 hours ago. Curious as to how you solved your problem. Any help will be *greatly* appreciated.<BR><BR>MK<BR>

Stian B. Barmen Guest

We also have the same problem now! Crazy stuff!!<BR><BR>Send me a mail at stian.barmen@it-akademiet.no if you know what to do. Or else I will need to go down and kick som MS butt! :-) <BR><BR>-stian

Kevin Guest

We are having this problem now as well. <BR><BR><BR>Does anyone have an answer to this yet? Thanks.