Not ASP related... but I am using ASP in my pages

Thread: Not ASP related... but I am using ASP in my pages

Bill Anthony Guest

Default Not ASP related... but I am using ASP in my pages

Greetings to all. I know that my question is not directly related to Active Server Pages, but I am hoping that some of you may have an answer for me regardless. Any response will certainly be appreciated, as usual.<BR><BR>I am using ASP to design a work request system for my company. the project is going extremely well except for a few minor sticking points. One particular bug involves the "history.go(-1)" object; better known as the "back button". My understanding is that when you implement the "history.go(-1)" object, you are merely grabbing the last visited page in cache, including any values the web surfer may have clicked prior to submitting to the next page. I have found that this works well in IE5.0, but fails miserably in IE4.0. Our client base is using IE4.0 exclusively. I need the web surfing public to have the ability to return to a previous page without disturbing the values they had chosen prior to submitting forward. Some of the forms I have designed are quite extensive.... therefore, if a web surfer completes a form, submits it to the next page and finds out he/she made a single mistake on the previous page, then he/she clicks on the "back button" (hoping to correct that one mistake) and returns to the previous page only to find every field, list, checkbox, and radio switch completely blank. This creates a huge problem, in that, now the web surfer has to re-enter all the values on that page in order to correct a problem with just one of them.<BR><BR>What is the CORRECT way to use the "history.go(-1)" object?<BR><BR>Are there better, more efficient or secure ways to implement this simple feature?<BR><BR>I appreciate everyone&#039s time and patience. Thank you, as always.<BR><BR>Bill Anthony<BR>Ellington, CT

omc Guest

Default RE: Not ASP related... but I am using ASP in my p

I use a slightly different syntax for that and it works in IE 4 & Netscape 4.<BR><BR>&#060;input type="button" name="goback" value="Go Back" onClick="history.back(-1)"&#062;

Bill Anthony Guest

omc:<BR><BR>Thanks very much for the response. I appreciate your time. Your idea also did not do the trick for some reason; but I&#039ll continue to investigate my problem further.<BR><BR>I know that I am using two forms on the same page (this is the likely cause of the problem). Both forms are necessary elements of the page -- one form performs a lookup from an employee database and reposts partial name searches back to itself. The other form then takes the returned employee name and other pertinent information and posts it to the next page.<BR><BR>I&#039ll keep looking into it...<BR><BR>Bill Anthony<BR>Ellington, CT

SPC Systems Guest

Try this:<BR><BR>Create an ERROR page with the same form , populate fields with<BR><BR>O.K. data ( after server side validation ) and Highlight incorrect ones.<BR><BR>O.K.<BR><BR>I would not suggest you to use "history.go(-1)" object <BR>

The problem is not your code, it is your users cache settings!