SQL Statements

Thread: SQL Statements

Default SQL Statements

I generally seem to have little problem using SQL statements that pull from one table. But when I try to use more than one table the results are often unpredicatable (I&#039ve no particular examples in mind). So I try to steer clear of multiple tables if at all possible.<BR><BR>Is this sensible or should I be trying to overcome my fear?

Default RE: SQL Statements

You need to overcome that. My guess is you need to be enlightened as to WHY, which is a book in and of itself.<BR><BR>Read this:<BR>http://www.aspwatch.com/c/200026/d5F09C5D14B8911D4AEE900A0C9E95208.asp<BR><BR>and there are many other articles out there on 3NF/database design. It&#039s good practice to do so for many reasons (data redundancy, integrity, ...).<BR><BR>Good Luck.

Steve Cimino Guest

Default Just do it

Sure, steer clear of multiple tables if possible. But, in larger data warehouses, relational databases are broken down into more than just one table. You may have to find a customer&#039s order number, and the next day his address. These, more than likely (hopefully) will not be in the same table.<BR><BR>SQL Books Online, IMO, suck for the beginner. I&#039m not an expert, and even I hate drudging through them.<BR><BR>A nice link:<BR><BR>Go to the toolbar on your left, and click SQL Internet Resource. Much nicer.