Formatting plain text with CR to HTML

Thread: Formatting plain text with CR to HTML

ICornish Guest

Default Formatting plain text with CR to HTML

Hi all,<BR>I have a database field which contains a lot of "formatted" text, typically about 30-60K.<BR>My ASP script currently reads this, and dumps it out unceremoniously into unformatted text, losing the layout.<BR>Is there anyway I can "replace" the CR&#039s & tabs in the text with the appropriate HTML. I&#039ve tried using the REPLACE function, but this only seems to work with "short" strings.<BR><BR>Suggestions appreciated.<BR><BR>Ian

Volker Guest

Default RE: Formatting plain text with CR to HTML

try the HTML tag <BR>&#060;pre&#062;your formatted text here&#060;/pre&#062;<BR>so, when you just write your text from the database within these tags, it should work!

ICornish Guest

Default RE: Formatting plain text with CR to HTML

That would mean training my users how to write HTML!

Volker Guest

Default No, it doesnt....

it doesnt mean, that your users have to learn html.<BR>I think your issue is to put plain formatted text (with some tabs and spaces and carriage returns) into a html page, right?<BR>So, in your asp code you could have something like that:<BR>&#060;%<BR>myText = getTextFromDatabase()<BR>Response.Write "&#060;pre&#062;" & myText & "&#060;/pre&#062;"<BR>%&#062;<BR>So, myText contains just pure text WITHOUT any htmls tags!!!<BR>The &#060;pre&#062;-tag is talking care of displaying the text like it is.<BR>I hope, this helps!<BR><BR>regards <BR>volker