why isn't this cross browser compatible?

Thread: why isn't this cross browser compatible?

troy the asp boy Guest

Default why isn't this cross browser compatible?

Please help...i&#039ve been working on this for several days. Could someone let me know why this is going on...<BR><BR>I need to submit a long list of checkboxes (20-500) all with the same name, but different values. Using the ASP Request("varValues") it works fine on Netscape/Explorer on the PC. It also works on the Mac Explorer browser. HOWEVER, with Netscape on a Macintosh the comma-delimited list seems to be limited to about 204 characters in length.<BR><BR>Is this a browser problem?<BR>Is it a coding problem on my part?<BR>Is there a work-around.<BR><BR>Your help is appreciated!<BR>troy<BR>

SPG Guest

Default My Guess...

Browser problem? My Fault?<BR><BR>Of course it&#039s a browser problem. It shows up in one browser for which you don&#039t have the source to prove that it isn&#039t the browser&#039s fault. The important thing is that you&#039ve got two copies of Netscape behaving differently -- you can&#039t help that.<BR><BR>Workaround?<BR><BR>Just at a guess (I only have to design for x86 operating systems so I haven&#039t tested this) you might want to do something like &#039enctype="multipart/form-data"&#039 in an attempt to trick Netscape into returning longer form fields (if it thinks it should send a file, then sending a long form field shouldn&#039t cause problems, right?)<BR><BR>Let me know if it works -- it&#039s good to know. The thing to keep in mind, though, is that the request.form may behave "differently" because it&#039s enctype has been changed. If you&#039ve got a copy of SA-FileUp about, this won&#039t pose problem. (Of course, this is where I mention that I have a copy of SA-FileUp and therefore haven&#039t tested &#039enctype="multipart/form-data"&#039 forms so I can&#039t confirm or deny anything...)<BR><BR>Hope it helps more than it hurts...

troy the asp boy Guest

Default good idea but it didn't work

thanks for the idea. i never would have thought of that.<BR><BR>however, when i tried adding enctype="text/plain" or enctype="multipart/form-data" the Request("thevalue") returned empty values. tried this on Mac & PC.<BR><BR>also tried to pass the info with a querystring variable. that doesn&#039t work because the length is limited to about 200 characters.<BR><BR>then i thought...i&#039ll see if hotmail or yahoo&#039s implementations work. they use popup windows with checkboxes of email addresses. BOTH systems failed and passed only about the first 200 characters. there has to be a solution but i don&#039t know what it is.<BR><BR>cheers<BR>troy the asp boy<BR>