Deleting identical record in a database

Thread: Deleting identical record in a database

BuhBuh Guest

Default Deleting identical record in a database

Hi,<BR><BR> What is the best way to delete all the identical records in a SQL database? Example:<BR><BR>Value = 1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,6,6<BR>After = 1,2,3,4,5,6<BR><BR>thanks a lot.<BR><BR><BR>

MG Guest

Default RE: Deleting identical record in a database

You will need to create a temp table with the same layout. Then append all of the records to you temp table. Then run a insert back into you originol table using the Group By statement on the field that has duplicates. This will only output one record per "value"

Steve Cimino Guest

Our DBA gave me this statement awhile back. I&#039m sure it could be modified to delete the records, but this shows us all the duplicates.<BR><BR>SELECT *<BR>FROM TableName<BR>WHERE uniqueidentifier in<BR>(SELECT uniqueidentifier<BR>FROM TableName<BR>GROUP BY uniqueidentifier<BR>HAVING count(*) &#062; 1)<BR>ORDER BY uniqueidentifier

Los Angeles, CA

Woah the problem with your query is that you will get all the duplicate records. If you "modify" it to do a delete then it will delete all duplicate records?? <BR><BR>To me it looks like it will delete all those records which have a duplicate entry including the "original" one. It seems to me that you will get the id&#039s or all records which have duplicate values and then hit delete and all those id&#039s will be deleted.<BR><BR>Getting into it it does not seem to be that cut and dry. Looks like we will indeed need a loop as for a temp table i dont see the need. <BR><BR>To find a crude and quick method get the rows in one cursor and the count of duplicated in another and loop that many number of times - 1 for the duplicate records.<BR><BR>I hope someone tells me a better way just incase i have to do something like this in future. I doubt it, but one never knows<BR>

Steve Cimino Guest

Yep, you sure are right. It doesn&#039t seem that cut and dry. I didn&#039t look into it. I have the code pasted in my "code helper" file on my desktop, and threw it up on here. I figured if this returns me all the dups, it probably would&#039ve been easy to change it to a delete (BTW--this is for tables without a primary key)<BR><BR>Don&#039t ever doubt when you need this stuff. A couple of years ago, I used to say "****! I remember having a sample of that awhile back. Wish I would&#039ve saved it." That&#039s why I have my "code helper" file (of which BillW has added to it considerably since I started posting in here a few months back).<BR><BR>